How to Help a Friend
- Help the person explore feelings.
- Widen options and explore alternatives for problem solving and positive action.
- Ask direct questions about the person’s intentions. Ask if the person is considering suicide. Ask if they have a plan.
- Communicate your concern for the well being of the person.
- Recommend that the person contact a mental health professional or call one yourself.
- Do not tell them to “go ahead.”
- Do not say everything will be all right.
- Do not tell them about someone who “has it worse.”
- Do not leave the person alone if you believe the risk of suicide is immediate.
- Do not swear secrecy to the suicidal person